Saturday, November 22, 2008

Identity Theft is rampant


I have have had several people tell me that they have had their identities stolen. Thought I would post about it here with a couple videos. I never worried about this type of thing years past but it is something to be aware of today. A couple years ago my wife and I found that another couple had used our social security numbers on job applications. Fortunately they didn't try to open any accounts in our names.

Identity Theft


How Do Criminals Steal Your Identity?



Precautions I take if I am on the internet is making sure I use my Firefox browser (it alerts me to bogus sites) I watch for a lock on secure pages when using a credit card, Never reply to spammers email as there are many phishing schemes coming via email. Most at risk online are those using Microsoft Explorer browsers as far as I am concerned.

At home I shred any sensitive documents before trashing them. There are many ways we can all reduce our exposure to identity theft. There is a new service called Lifelock to secure your credit accounts.


No comments: