Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Heart of The Business


Lessons I have learned in Network Marketing.

You can get everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want. -- Zig Ziglar

I was fortunate to join a company a few years ago & have Dale Calvert as my mentor. He taught me that most of what happens to us is because of what’s been programmed inside our heads. Most of us need to erase some old programming by rewriting better programming over it. He taught us “If you don’t know why, the how doesn’t matter!”

He taught us the importance of investing in ourselves. To enjoy the journey and that, more important than the money, was the people you meet and the friendships you develop along the journey. He taught us to take lots of pictures to leave behind for our family.

One of my Upline mentors in Dale’s company was Phil Shuff. Phil taught me that a constant sustained effort is always better than going like crazy for a few days and then doing nothing.

Tony Robbins taught me the CANI philosophy Constant and Never Ending Improvement.

Jim Rohn taught me that it’s our own fault where we are and it’s o.k. to take personal responsibility but that we can change because “We’re not a tree!”

One of my more recent mentors is Michael Oliver. Michael confirmed that I wasn’t crazy. I knew this, but some of my family is still unsure. I have always disliked traditional sales techniques and felt uncomfortable with the idea of ever manipulating anyone to make a sale. For some time we have said: “The harder you close someone the less they will do!” What Michael has taught me is there is a way to be personable and that through asking questions (while laying aside my agenda of making a sale or signing someone up) and understanding what people mean by listening, really listening, to my potential business partner I can help them get what they want better than I could ever before. At no time am I viewed as a salesperson and the joy of doing my work is alive.

MLM companies

Loyalty is a two way street. With company ownership some always tell the truth & some pretend to. My Dad always said ”Figures don’t lie but even liars can figure!” I have found that one must go by the actions of a company not by it’s statements. Good company ownership is a rare commodity. Why do people switch from company to company? For the newbies they are looking for the easy way to make money. For the pros sometimes their conscience will no longer allow them to recruit into a company regardless of the compensation.

Integrity is something one is continually learning & improving on, not only in this industry but also in life. All one can do is to do their best and apologize for the rest. Take comfort in the fact that here on terra firma there are currently no perfect beings walking. Am I doing what I feel is right with my present knowledge? If so I am the right path.

Customers

Some people can’t say no, that’s why a hot prospect whether for the business, service or product suddenly never answers your call. When this happens, leave them a message & understand that some people will go out way out of their way to avoid what they think will be a conflict or a sales pitch. That’s why some people buy cars over the internet or shop car lots after the salepeople have left for the day. Accept it as a reality of the business and don’t allow it to frustrate you. People do not always do what we think they should do.

Don’t chase the money. I have learned this as a life lesson. Every time I have made a business decision based on what I can make as the the primary part of the decision, it has been a mistake. If the business is right the money will be there. (obviously the compensation plan must be workable.)

Go on a Crusade. If you approach your business like a personal mission it will propel you to success. Many of mankind's greatest inventions were born out of a personal problem or loss. Here again be very careful of the company you chose to be your partner on the crusade or it could be short circuited.

Residual income really works. I learned that by receiving it. that,You can pay all your bills with it and have money left over! It is much more than a concept it’s awesome to experience. I cannot even conceive of going back to being the slave of a J.O.B. (journey of the broke) for my only income source, ever again.

There are other lessons, so . . . . Keep learning.

There are other lessons, some of which I am still learning. As my mentor Dale Calvert has repeated many times “Stay green and growing cause once you’re ripe you rot.”

No comments: